Thursday, October 15, 2009

Apple Strudel & More







My daughter had been begging me to make Apple Strudel, which I usually make around this time of year. Since I work full-time, I often don't have the energy to spend as much time in the kitchen as I would like. The Apple Strudel takes a little time, but is well worth it. I found the recipe in "Taste of Home" several years ago and lost it, but had made it enough in the past, that I remembered it. This time, instead of making three strudels, I used the last batch of apples and made an apple pie and took it to work.






"Apple Strudel"


2 sticks of butter, the real thing
1 8 oz. container of sour cream
2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp Salt
4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled & chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
2 cups sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted
Cinnamon
Raisins (optional)

Cut the butter into the flour and mix well. Add the sour cream and mix until a ball forms. The dough will be sticky. Add enough flour to form a ball. Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

Let the dough rest at room temperature until soft enough to roll out, at least 1/2 hour. Divide dough in thirds and roll out into a rectangle. In a large bowl, mix the chopped apples, bread crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Spoon the apple mixture over the dough and roll up in a strudel. Brush melted butter on top and sprinkle with sugar. Bake on a large, ungreased cookie sheet. This will make three small strudels, one to eat and two to share. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.


"Apple Pie"

For the pie, roll out a pie circle from the strudel dough and place in pie plate. For the crumb topping, use a pastry cutter to mix 2/3 cup flour, 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and cinnamon.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until done.






1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

Your apple goodies are inspiring, and are making rumbles in my pre-breakfast tummy....