Thursday, November 19, 2009

Little Boys



I raised two daughters and then my younger daughter had two girls of her own. My life revolved around baby dolls and play kitchens, hair bows and cute little girl clothes.

As soon as I knew I was expecting my first child I picked up my crochet needles and had six sweaters finished by the time she was born at the end of  May. I bought a sewing machine and taught myself how to sew. From the time my girls were little I made many of their holiday dresses. It was fun dressing up little girls.

I never thought I would be blessed with a boy, but last year my older daughter gave me a grandson, a delightful little boy who stole my heart from the moment I laid eyes on him. From the time he was two months old he slept through the night until morning. He still does, except for the times when he is sick or has an ear infection. At 15 months his little personality is coming out. He is picking up words and repeating them. He has to have his rambunctious playtime before he goes to bed. That means hide-and-seek, tickle time, and letting him play on my bed, which he loves. He loves to go outside and gets excited when he sees my neighbor's dogs across the street.

As a little boy he loves gadgets: remote controls, telephones, answering machines, anything with buttons that he can push. We recently had to move the phone because a 911 operator called and said they had a hang-up call. I apologized and stated that my grandson had accidentally called when he was playing with the phone. I apologized again when a deputy showed up at my door a little while later. The phone is now out of reach of his little hands. He has also figured out how to start the dishwasher and when we say the word, "bathtime" he runs to the bathroom, ready to turn on the faucet.

He loves it when my daughter reads to him. Elmo is his favorite character at the present time. He likes to sing and hums along with the music. At this age he is learning something new everyday.

What do I want for him as he grows up?

I want him to be happy.
I want him to love God.
I want him to do something with his hands, whether a profession or hobby.
I want him to respect others.
I want him to have compassion.

I could make a longer list, but I trust God to grow this little boy into a man.

1 comment:

Janet, said...

I love this post. I hope some day to have a grandson. My mother had three girls, my sister had two girls and then I got married and had three boys. Needless to say they were spoiled rotten. Everyone went crazy over the first boy in the family. My oldest, mom's first grandson, just got married in January, my how time flies. I still remember all the precious moments they gave us when they were little. That is what I want for all my boys - for them to be healthy and happy.