Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Favorite Romantic Movies

(A re-post from two years ago)


I collect old postcards. These are a few of my vintage Valentine postcards, some dating back to 1908.

Since Valentine's Day is about love I wanted to make a list of my favorite romantic movies. No light-hearted romances here - that would be another list.


Gone With the Wind
 Passionate love - (Rhett and Scarlett are too much alike. He loves her, but he can only take so much).

Love Story
Who can forget "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

Dr. Zhivago
Two people, married to others, fall in love during the Russian revolution. This movie is three hours long and perfect for a long winter's night.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Fantasy love - Woman falls in love with the ghost of a sea captain. Those black and white movies from the 1940's were really good!

Out of Africa
Uncommitted love - Danish writer loves big game hunter in Africa. I actually bought the soundtrack and play it all the time.

The Notebook
Lifelong love with a touch of sadness. Have plenty of tissue at the end.

The Message in a Bottle
Woman falls in love with widower, still grieving the loss of his late wife.

Pride and Prejudice 
Prideful love - Two witty souls finally find true love. Who doesn't love Mr. Darcy?

Sense and Sensibility
Another Jane Austen favorite. Love wins in the end. My absolute favorite.

Wuthering Heights
Dangerous love - Woman falls for brooding Heathcliffe.

Jane Eyre
Hopeful love - homely girl finds love in the end. I never tire of this story.

Ghost
Everlasting love - "The love inside, you take it with you."

May you still be truly, madly, insanely in love on this Valentine's Day.

6 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, I love this romantic list. Thank you so much for sharing it. Here it is Valentine's Day and I had to stop by and wish you a great one.

a wish from me:

On this day, may you know, really know how much you are loved. May you recognize love in all it's forms. May you be grateful for the love of children and pets, old friendships and new. May you and your love enjoy every minute together. May your heart swell with all the beauty this life brings. Happy Valentine's Day, my friend.

Janet, said...

Those post cards are so pretty. I have lots of old post cards, but no valentine's ones. I like Ghost and Gone with the Wind. A movie I love is Somersby. I'm not sure about the spelling of it, buy you better have a tissue box handy for the end of that one, it is so sad.

Cathy Rodgers said...

I like a lot of these movies, too, Anita. Out of Africa is one of my most favorites movies of all time. I have the soundtrack to the movie on cd and it's some of my favorite music to listen to while I'm painting.

Rita said...

Oh, I love these movies, especially "Jane Eyre". My favorite book and my favorite movie! Great list!

GretchenJoanna said...

My husband and I just watched Jane Eyre last month...it's one of my favorites. I'd like to watch all the different versions in one month.

Kuki... said...

I love vintage cards and typography...the art has such a charm and romance about it! Noticed some of the reading suggestions...I'm reading "The Help"...GREAT so far!!