Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"I Had a Choice Today"



I had a choice today
to feel sorry for myself
or wake up with a smile

I had a choice today
to speak with anger
or stop a careless word

I had a choice today
to break a promise I had made
or keep my word and follow through

I had a choice today
to lie, cheat, or to deceive
or be honest and tell the truth

I had a choice today
to hold myself in high esteem
or humble myself before the Lord

I had a choice today
to turn my back on someone who needed me
or bend over and help them back up

I had a choice today
to speak words of hatred
or speak encouraging words

I had a choice today
to nurse a grudge and carry a chip on my shoulder
or forgive as the Lord as forgiven me

I had a choice today
to wish that I was someone else
or accept the person God wants me to be

I had a choice today
to cry bitter tears for things I cannot change
or hope for a brighter future

I had a choice today
to reject my faith and turn my back on God
or accept him fully in my heart

I had a choice today
Did I make the wrong choice?
 Or did I choose the right way?

I had a choice today
because it's never too late
to get down on your knees and pray

Blessings,

c Anita M. Ashworth 2010


2 comments:

Rita said...

A very lovely poem! Love it! Have a happy Mother's Day!

GretchenJoanna said...

Yes, and with God's help, may we make that choice minute by minute to accept Him. Thank you, Anita.

Pictures

Growing up in my era we didn't take a lot of pictures. Of course, there were the school pictures, which I dreaded, and Mom rarely bought...