Monday, October 11, 2010

Procrastination



            Why should I do it now?
Why can't it wait?
I'm in no hurry
I won't be late

I put it off yesterday
Now today is here
Tomorrow sounds better
What is there to fear?

But what if tomorrow
 never comes?
What if I had the chance
and didn't take it?
What if I dressed for the dance
but didn't make it?

What if I looked at my watch,
but time slipped away?
What if I waited...and waited
for yet another day?

 What if that day
 never comes
to right a wrong,
 to hug someone,
to read a book,
to sing a song
to go some place,
and watch the setting sun

So today is all we have
There is no guarantee
Every second is a gift from God,
a gift for you and me

(c) 2010 Anita M. Ashworth

7 comments:

Janet, said...

Oh, how true! I think I will do something today and not put it off. You have motivated me with your poem.

Rita said...

Anita, I love your poem! It is wonderful. We never know what tomorrow will bring, so if we put off till tomorrow, we may never get to do a lot of things. I find that as I have gotten older, it is much harder to do some of those things that I would have loved to do as a younger woman. Today is definitely a gift from God! Wonderful poem. I hope you don't mind if I send others to read it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful poem, fantastic thoughts!, Anita.
Have a great eve ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Anita:
I hopped over from Rita's blog. This poem is beautiful. It really says it like life is. None of us knows what the next minute may bring. Right now is what we need to make count!

Thanks for sharing this.

Sonja

I_am_Tulsa said...

Oh I love this poem...especially since if you look up the word "procrastinate" in the dictionary you see my picture! Thank you for sharing!

Relyn Lawson said...

This is a stunning image. I LOVE it!

Anita said...

Thank you all for your nice comments.