Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Remembering Mama

I've been thinking about my mother lately and how much I miss her, still. I wish she were here to talk to. It doesn't matter how old you get, sometimes you just need a mother. I was blessed to have her for 44 years, but I wish she could have stayed a little longer. Long enough to be a great-grandmother, for example. She would be tickled by the babies that have been born since she passed away. I wish she could have stayed long enough to enjoy her retirement years. But it wasn't to be. God gave her the rest she needed and took her home at age 62.

I was listening to a "paid advertisement" on television while reading a book. They were playing the old country songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's. My mother was a fan of country music and I grew up listening to Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Charlie Rich, and all of the popular artists at that time. Hearing those songs brings back so many memories.

Music always made my mother happy. She loved "The Sound of Music" and never tired of watching it. She would sing "Edelweis" when she though no one was listening, just as she would hum the little German songs from her childhood. Mama was shy, just as I am. When "GI Blues" is playing, I can remember Mama singing along with Elvis, " Muss ich denn, muss ich denn, Zum Stadtele hinaus Stadtele hinaus, Und du, mein schatz, bleibst hier?" Can't you see I love you, please don't break my heart in two... (Wooden Heart lyrics)

Like my mother, I sing along with the songs, if no one is listening.

Blessings,
Anita

5 comments:

Aliene said...

Yes, Anita! We do miss them no matter how old we get. Mom lived until she was almost 90. She saw
5 generations. But not many are that blessed.
Blessings, my friend.

lil red hen said...

Yes, we keep needing a mama; I lost my mother 24 years ago and I still want to visit with her, quilt with her. But, had she lived, she would now be 97 and most likely in bad health. God gave her rest and peace. Blessings to you, Anita!

Aliene said...

Thanks Anita, for stopping by today.
I glad we don't have to carry our burdens alone too. I honestly don't know what I would do if I did.
Fall beneath the load, I suppose.
Look up and be encouraged.
Love you, friend!

GretchenJoanna said...

I feel the same way about needing a mother. Girlfriends sometimes fill some of the void, or older women who have adopted me to a degree. But when I found the Orthodox Church my longings were revealed to be for Christ and the home He provided for us, which is also our Mother. I could ramble on more about this, but I should meditate on it further before I do. Thank you for the good provoking.

Rita said...

Oh Anita, I think it is wonderful that you got that from your mom! Music is such an important part of life. No one can ever replace your mom, can they?