Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Nina and the Pinta


I read in the local paper that the Nina and the Pinta
were docked at the local marina on the Tennessee River.
These are actual replicas of
Christopher Columbus' ships. From the information page that
was handed out, we learned that these ships were called "Caravels"
and were used by explorers during the Age of Discovery.
They travel all across the United States. Amazingly, they were built in Brazil
only using shipbuilding methods of the 1500s; no modern tools
were used. I was surprised at how small they were. The Nina was only 65 feet long and the
Pinta was 85 feet long.



2 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

That is SO COOL! I wish I could take Sloane.

GretchenJoanna said...

My husband and kids saw one of those ships in San Francisco harbor many years back. It's such a great history lesson, seeing such a large museum piece, or replica thereof.