Monday, December 23, 2013

A Childhood Christmas in Germany

As I have written before, I lived with my grandmother in Germany until I was six years old. I still have vivid memories of those years living with her, especially during the holidays.

Stollen
 Lebkuchen
Anise oookies
Hazelnut cookies
Bars of Swiss Chocolate
Oranges wrapped in tissue
Frost on the windows
New hats and mittens
A freshly cut Christmas tree
Narrow streets with snow piled high
Softly fallen snow twinkling beneath the stars
Fire burning brightly in the wood stove
Sausages wrapped in butcher paper
Crusty Bauern Brot (farmer's rye bread)
My uncle pretending to be St. Nicholas
Yummy Apple Strudel fresh from the oven
Church bell ringing at midnight on Christmas Eve
Merry Christmas!
Frohe Weihnachten!
The little town I was born in.


5 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

How sweet! How many many blessings are still giving you pleasure after all these years. Thank you for sharing.

Janet, said...

Now neat! Love that you made your memories look like a Christmas tree. And, that is such a quaint little town. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Relyn Lawson said...

I was born in Germany. This was a nice little reminder of my parents stories. Thanks.

I have a few wishes for you.
May 2014 bring you much joy.
May we all have peace in our homes,
laughter by our firesides,
time spent with family,
and contentment in our hearts.
Be well, my friend.

Visits With Mary said...

Loved your memories! Stopping by to wish you a Happy and Blessed New Year.

Aritha V. said...

I like your memories!