Monday, April 4, 2011

Memories In Black and White

I only have a few photos of my German relatives. The photo of my grandparents wedding is the only photo I have of my grandfather. He died when my mother was nine years old, in East Germany. They had been separated after the war and my grandmother and nine children became refugees, travelling by train from Czechoslovakia to West Germany after the war ended. I know very little about my grandparents, Karl and Anna, so I cherish the few photos that I have.
The next picture was taken of my Aunt Marianne's church wedding in the 1950's, when she married an American airman. My aunt was beautiful and reminded us of a movie star when she came to visit us in her convertible, with a silk scarf wrapped around her blonde hair. She was also my godmother. Sadly, we lost her at the young age of 37.


The last picture was actually an old, old black and white postcard that I had enlarged. It is the Cinderella castle, or Neuschwanstein, home of King Ludwig. No, he wasn't a relative, but I loved the picture of the castle!



2 comments:

Rita said...

Anita, I have been to Neuschwanstein. It is beautiful and in a lovely setting. When my sister and I made the memory trip back to where we lived in Germany as children, we were able to make the trip to the castle. I'm glad that you have the pictures of your relatives even if you don't know much about them. I hope someday that you will be able to find out more about them.

GretchenJoanna said...

There are German Karls among my ancestors, too! I stare at their photos....